Ruby/Back-end Developer (Mid Level)
At Loot, we believe that students and young people should be able to go out and do the things they love without worrying about money or relying on an overdraft. Whether they’re saving for a night out, an around the world trip or even saving for a mortgage on a house - we’ll help you get there.
Based in London (UK), Poznań and Białystok (Poland), we are a small team of motivated and hardworking individuals - with a shared love for Disco music. We're unified by the satisfaction we feel from fussing over the finer details of everything from UX to our API.
About the role
As a Ruby Developer at Loot you'll be helping us create the most incredible student banking app. You'd be an integral part in the direction and purpose of everything we do. With your experience you'll influence the tools we use and the dependencies that our codebase has (or doesn’t have), whilst also helping to guide our roadmap and ingrain our values in our product.
The backend of Loot banking app is a solid and modern fundament for delivering users exciting functionality and data. By building solutions and API’s you will become a member of our core team.
- Build our platforms, systems and big data infrastructure using your strong background in distributed systems and large scale storage systems
- Participate in code review, design discussions, and process improvements
- Demonstrate a passion for the developer community and person learning and improvement
- Contribute to design and development efforts
- Work closely with a cross-functional team: product, marketing and operations
- Help drive and bring innovation and improvement into the team
- Experience in Ruby and Rails
- Good understanding of microservice-based design
- Excellent communication skills: written and spoken English
- Theoretical and practical understanding of OOP, SOLID and CleanCode principles
- Experience using TDD practices
- Fluidity in operating Unix-based systems
- Experience in implementing and integrating with HTTP APIs
- Experience with REST/SOAP APIs
- Good understanding of Messaging Queue Protocols
- Pair programming experience
- Ability to coach more junior developers
- Experience in playing Mario Kart
PLEASE NOTE: Loot will only accept applications from candidates legally allowed to work in the UK. We will not be providing visa sponsorships for this role.
Loot philosophy and culture
Our team work really hard to get everything right. We're believers in 1000 no's to every yes. The work we do is the product of many discussions involving many opinions and ideas. Everyone's idea/opinion is welcome, in fact we encourage everyone to share theirs, especially strong ones, but these should be held loosely when it comes to presenting them to the team.
We're looking to bring on people who will inject new opinions and ideas, just as we'll show them our ideas and opinions, changing everyone for the better.
Carrying on from sharing opinions and ideas - we think diverse collaboration is key to making great products and software. Although this job description is predominantly for an engineer who would spend most of their time working on our iOS app, there would be nothing to stop them from submitting a pull request for one of our Ruby Gems (or any other project). Again, we'd encourage it. And it doesn't stop there. Got an idea for some UI changes? Speak to Nick, our UI designer. Got some ideas for marketing or features, speak to Ollie or Chris.
Our workflow is very much like managing an open source software project. Changes are made, PRs are opened, tests are run, reviews and discussions are had, changes perhaps get made again, code gets merged. Any engineer could feedback on any other engineer's PR, it doesn't matter what their discipline is, although PRs will commonly be reviewed by another in your field.
Aaaaaand carrying on from collaboration - we like open source development a lot, and where we can we share our work and contribute to projects. We hope to open source more of our projects as we get more time and resource to do so. Ultimately this is because we feel that the world can build better software when it works together. We couldn't have launched so quickly without using some great OSS frameworks. We think using (and perhaps improving) an existing project rather than re-inventing it is way better for everyone.
When our team contributes to the community:
- They learn a lot by working with even more people
- They have a greater presence, meaning that finding others to collaborate with is easier
- Our projects benefit from the insight and experience of many others
- They and we get the wonderful satisfaction of helping others just by doing our usual job
This is why we want our team to strive to be leaders in their fields, having a strong presence in their communities, be it via activity online (social, blog, OSS) or at conferences and meet-ups (hopefully both).
- Talented and leading; We like having a team of great people that can learn from and be inspired by each other
- Collaboration is key; there’s no such thing as pulling rank here
- A balance of focus and motivation with chill out and fun
- Fun and exciting FinTech Startup, supported by industry professionals
- Endless supply of freshly ground coffee and EBT (English Breakfast Tea)
- Employee options scheme
- Market-rate salaries
- Nice, high-spec tech setup
- Yes, we do have a ping pong table